Old Lyme Shores Beach Association OrdinancesAs Adopted May 31, 2008
It shall be the duty and responsibility of all property owners to communicate these ordinances to guests, renters and bona fide service and tradesmen.
No person shall operate any motorized vehicle upon any road within the territorial limits of this Association at a speed greater than fifteen (15) miles per hour.
Unregistered vehicles are not permitted in OLSBA boundaries.
Vehicles are not permitted on the Beach, except maintenance/emergency vehicles. Residents wishing to operate a motor vehicle on the beach for personal reasons (i.e. launching of watercraft) should receive prior permission from OLSBA beach security personnel.
Sleeping in vehicles or trailers is not permitted within OLSBA.
No parking on OLSBA roads.
No parking at the beach except for purposes of pick-up and drop-off.
No parking on the Recreation field without prior approval from the Board of Governors or OLSBA beach security personnel.
Campers, Tents, Storage Trailers, etc are not permitted within the boundaries OLSBA. Unoccupied trailers may be parked on owner’s property, October through May only.
Misuse of Association Property
No person shall misuse Association property as defined by the Board of Governors. Notification of continued misuse shall be warned in writing and continued misuse may be subject to penalty.
No person shall cut or remove any portion of any OLSBA roadway unless they receive prior written approval of the Board of Governors.
No person shall commit a nuisance within the territorial limits of such Association. The following acts are declared to be acts of nuisance:
- The causing of any excessive or offensive noise upon any street, right of way or beach.
- The posting or displaying of bills, placards, or advertisements upon any building, wall, fence, post or tree.
- Tradesman and Real Estate signs are not permitted during July and August, except during open houses.
- Tradesman and Real Estate signs must be displayed from within the home, through a window.
- The blocking by motor vehicle or by any other means of any street or right of way.
- The depositing of garbage or other refuse within the territorial limits of said Association except in suitable containers.
- The entry in to the territorial limits of said Association of any person other than property owners, their guests, and bona fide service and tradesmen.
The abandonment of any personal property on the beach after November 1st of any calendar year. If this occurs, the Board shall give said offender written notice and if the property is not removed within 14 days of the mailing of said notice, said Board may dispose of the abandoned property and may bill the person responsible for the actual cost of such service.
Any motorized vehicles that have been deemed either inoperable or unregistered for a period of greater than 30 days must be removed from the territorial limits of the Association or stored in a garage unless granted special dispensation by the Board of Governors.
If, in the opinion of the Board of Governors, any violation of this subsection has occurred without permission, said Board shall give said offender written notice of same, and if said condition so reported, is not remedied within 14 days of the mailing of said notice, said Board may have the vehicle removed from OLSBA boundaries and may bill the person responsible for the actual cost of such service.
Bonfires and Fireworks are not permitted within OLSBA boundaries without prior permission from the Board of Governors.
Solicitation is not permitted within OLSBA.
Fraternities and sororities are not permitted within OLSBA.
A “Hammer Law” shall be in place within the limits of OLSBA property between July 1st and Labor Day. No significant construction or home improvement projects shall be conducted during this time period without first seeking a waiver from the Board of Governors. Only written applications for a waiver will be considered. The application must have an outline of the work to be done and a completion date.
Any extension to the completion date must be requested separately in writing following the original application process. Violations of the hammer law will be informed in writing by the Board of Governors and may be subject to daily penalty.
Beach rules for residents, guests and tenants:
- No eating on the beach.
- No coolers on the beach.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages allowed on the beach unless at a Board sanctioned event. Nonalcoholic beverages are allowed provided they are not in glass containers.
- No hazardous activity on the beach except in designated areas until after 6:00 PM. Hazardous activities include but are not limited to ball playing, Frisbee throwing, kite flying, etc.
- No skim boarding or boating (excludes inflatables) in the designated swim area.
- All holes dug in beach must be filled in before leaving the beach.
- Boats may be moored at the end of Sea Spray road or beyond OLSBA swimming areas.
- Loading and unloading of powerboats is permitted at the end of Sea Spray Road water lane.
- Non-powerboats and tenders may be loaded and unloaded at the Billow Road water lane.
- Catamarans, sailboats, canoes, sea kayaks and inflatables may be stored at the end of Billow Road beach/seawall area.
- Canoes, sea kayaks and inflatables may be stored at the area against the seawall at the end of Sea Spray Road. Personal watercraft must adhere to powerboat rules.
Rules regarding animals for residents, guests, and tenants:
- Dogs must be leashed when on Association property.
- Dog Owners must remove their Animal droppings. Violators will be subject to Association fines.
- No Dogs, Cats or other Animals allowed on the Beach during June, July, August and September.
Shrubs & Fencing
Shrubbery/Fencing must not inhibit the view of motorists at OLSBA. Shrubs and obstructions must be trimmed or removed at owner’s expense. Shrubbery/Fencing must not inhibit property owner’s views within OLS of the beach and/or water. Shrubs/Fences may not exceed 4 feet where they can inhibit views of the beach and/or water.
Between properties, the maximum height of shrubbery/fencing is 8 feet unless otherwise agreed to by both adjoining property owners. This is only the case where they border contiguous land of private owners not OLS roads.
Shrubbery/Fencing may not exceed 3 feet in height where it borders OLS roads and it is placed outside the homeowner’s actual property line.
If, in the opinion of the Board of Governors, any violation of this section has occurred without permission, said Board shall give said offender written notice of same, and if said condition so reported, is not remedied within 14 days of the mailing of said notice, said Board may begin levying fines on a daily basis until the violation is brought back into conformance with the applicable regulations outlined in Sec.7.
The Board of Governors may fix a penalty for each violation of any ordinance or regulation by residents, of not more than twenty five dollars per day. The property owner will be responsible for any misconduct and fines levied for the misconduct of their guests and tenants. Any penalties or fines may be recovered in an action brought for the purpose in the name of The Old Lyme Shores Beach Association before any court having jurisdiction, for the use and benefit of said association. Hardship exemptions from any of the ordinances listed above can be appealed by residents to the Board of Governors.